Our housekeepers work in all types of homes, from those with a casual atmosphere to formal, multi-staffed homes, and their job description will change depending on the needs of the family. This position involves daily maintenance of the home as well as heavy cleaning. Housekeepers are usually supervised by principals or by the Household Manager.
While some may not have formal training, our housekeepers have at least 3 years of experience working in a private home. A Housekeeper works either full-time or part-time, on a live-in or live-out basis. Housekeepers usually work alone, but should the needs of the home demand multiple staff, they may work as a team with other housekeepers.
As a general guideline, a full-time Housekeeper is recommended for homes of 5,000 sq. ft. or more. If errands, cooking, and laundry are also required, hiring an additional housekeeper is recommended.
Typical responsibilities of a housekeeper:
- Cleaning the interior of the home
- Laundry and ironing linens
- Running errands including the grocery shopping
- Making the beds
- Polishing the silver
- Organizing drawers and straightening closets
- Caring for household pets
- Maintaining stock of routine cleaning and household supplies